Finally!! The time has arrive for dessert-lovers. This time I decided to do ice-cream Bon Bons because they remind me of my childhood in Lima at the beach during summer times. Since I hade very soft bananas, vanilla (from Magadascar by the way) and coconut… well, I did banana-coconut ic-cream.
So… the method I used with a traditional ice-mold was a little complicated when taking the Bon Bons out of the mold. Some of the couverture chocolate brok :$ . However, I later saw that either with a silicone ice-mol or dipping the ice-cream into the chocolat you will get a less “rustic” result. You can try either method. My friend Sandra, for example, told me she liked them best in a less “perfect state”. You know what they say: ‘for taste, colors’ (is it the same in english? I wonder…).
Ingredients. For 12 servings or more!
- 4 very soft bananas (the softer, the more sugar and the less sugar you add to the recipe whiche means less complex carbohydrates).
- 200 ml cream
- 2 cups of whole milk
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 1 can of coconut milk
- 3 egg yolks
- the juice from 1/2 a lemon
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1/4 cup of grated coconut
- 1 package of couverture chocolate
- 3 ice molds best if you have silicone, I had some trouble with the de-molding part using regular ice-molds.
For the Banana and coconut ice-cream:
- In a small skillet mix the yolks with the sugar until they are foamy and start adding the milk.
- Cook at medium heat until it thickens.
- Cool in the fridge.
- Place the grated coconut in a baking plate and toast a little in the oven.
- Put the bananas, lemon juice, vanilla, grated-toasted coconut in your mixer and start mixing adding the cream and coconut milk.
- Beat well until it is thick and finally add the yolk-sugar-milk preparation. Mix until smooth.
- Freeze mixture in an ice-cream maker to keep everything cold. Aproximately 40 minutes.
- Place everything in an ice-cream mold or tupper and to the freezer for at least 5 hours.
For the Bon Bons (be quick!):
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Paint the ice molds and as fast as you can add a spoon with very cold ice-cream.
- Brush with chocolate over the top again.
- Take to the freezer for 2-3 more hours.
- De-mold carefully. I placed a wet kitchen cloth (with warm water) over the mold, and they came out by their own.
So, I’ve seen that another way of making them is to: once you’ve got the ice-cream, make some small balls and freeze again. Then take out and very fast dip them into the chocolate and back to the freezer again. I’ll try this next time and let you know!!
How where they? Perfect.
So, to serve I placed a quenelle of chocolate ice-cream, three Bon Bons over the top and some mint leaves for decoration. Dessert for angels…they are so beautiful!