It’s time for another dessert, yes. How about banana cupcakes with nuts and chocolate AND some chocolate frosting on top? Sounds good right? While I was baking them people that passed by my balcony said ‘Smells delicious!’. Emilio, my building’s doorman has always been one of the oficial tasters of my food. He gave these cupcakes 10 out of 10 stars.
And on Friday, my friends took me to a surprise ‘gastronomic’ trip to Salamanca, and I took a box with cupcakes for them to eat on the road…
Ingredients. Makes 12 cupcakes.
- 1 cup of mashed bananas
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of caster sugar
- 180 gr unsalted butter
- 3 eggs
- 200 gr flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla esence
- 1 teaspoon cinammon
- 1/4 cup of nuts in small pieces (save some for decoration)
- 1/4 cup of pieces of dark chocolate
- 1 banana in fine slices to decorate
- 7 oz dark chocolate
- 125 gr unsalted butter
- 1,5 tablespoon milk
- 2 cups of confectioners sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Beat at medium speed the butter with the sugars.
- Once it is well incorporated add the eggs and continue beating.
- Add the banana puree and vanilla.
- Finally add the flour, baking powder and cinammon, little by little and keep beating.
- Once all the ingredients are incorporated, add the pieces of nuts and chocolate.
- Move with a spoon and scoop and even amount of dough to cupcake molds.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until they are brown on the top and when a wooden skewer inserted in the middle willl come out clean.
While the cupcakes are baking we will prepare the frosting and afterwards garnish the cupcakes:
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler (bain marie). After it’s melted place it over another cold bowl to cool.
- Beat the butter until soft.
- Add the chocolate until combined. Add the milk.
- Finally add the sugar and mix until combined. Don’t over mix!
Take the muffins out of the oven and cool. Put frosting on top with a slice of banana and nut.