Patatas bravas are fried potato dices served with salsa brava, a spicy tomato sauce. And every bar in Spain has them. So when your house is the place to serve tapas, better still to prepare this delicious home-made bravas. I prepare them for my friend’s Elena surprise birthday party. I also prepared this tequeños and easy and delicious sandwichs.
Always when I go out for tapas, we order patatas bravas. Sometimes they are really dissapointing, but sometimes they turn out to be spectacular. That’s when you know your coming back to the bar. Believe me, if you make them right your a winner!! So here is my version of a winning recipe!!
Ingredients. Gives 2 plates of potatoes and 1 cup of salsa brava
- 1/2 kg potatoes
- 1 TB flour and extra flour for the potatoes
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp spicy cayenne
- 2 dried chillis
- splash of vinegar
- splash of white wine
- 1/2 white onion finely chopped
- 3/4 cup natural tomato paste
- olive oil for the brava sauce
- sunflower oil for the potatoes
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a hot pan place some olive oil and add the crushed garlic cloves, cumin, chillis, paprika and cayenne.
- Move the pan every now and then and avoid everything from frying. Leave it for about 2 minutes and add the onions. Poach the onions and add the tablespoon of flour.
- When the flour starts taking golden colour add the wine.
- Add the tomato paste and vinegar. Let it boil for a few minutes so the flavours concentrate. Taste for salt and spicynees. Add more if you want it spycier.
- Blend the sauce with a food processor or blender. I reserve a tablespoon of sauce to add texture. Ready!!!
- Boil a pot with water and some salt. As the water is boiling, peel and cut into irregular pieces the potatoes.
- Add them to the water and pre-cook for 5 minutes.
- Remove from water and cool.
- Dry them well and add flour. Toss well until evenly coated.
- Fry them in a pan with hot oil.
- When golden remove to a plate and add salt.
- Serve in a dish with the brava sauce on top.